Best Lawn Edger
Having a green sprawling lawn makes a beautiful home and adds value to your property. But keeping it immaculately clean and trimmed can be a painstaking task. If you’re the one doing the hard yard work, you’ll know that having a lawnmower, scissors, and shovel is just not enough to keep the edges neat, especially when it comes to stubborn overgrowth on the sides of the pavement. The fast, efficient, easy, and even fun way to do it is to invest in a lawn edger.
Read our Best Lawn Edger Review to find out.
- Greenworks 12-Inch 24V Cordless String Trimmer/Edger, 2.0 (Editors choice - High Quality)
- BLACK+DECKER LST400 20V Lithium High Performance Trimmer and Edger (Runner up)
- WORX Cordless String Trimmer and Blower WG929.1 Combo, 20V 2 Batteries, Grass Weed Edger (Amazing Price)
- Kobalt 40-Volt Max 13-in Straight Cordless String Trimmer (Affordable Product)
- EGO Power+ ME0800 8-Inch Edger Attachment and Power Head Battery (Great Product)
When considering purchasing a lawn edger, you need to consider the size of your lawn and what kind of overgrowth needs to be trimmed. This will help you decide on the length of the cutting blade and how powerful your edger should be. As a rule of thumb, the wider your lawn property is, the more powerful your edger and trimmer should be.
Do you want something that’s heavy-duty or only for light trimmings? Consider your height and whether the edger has an adjustable handle. You need to find one with the right features specific to your needs.
For starters, here’s a list of some of the best performing lawn edger in the market that has gained good reviews from actual users.
Greenworks 12-Inch 24V Cordless String Trimmer/Edger, 2.0
If you have a vast lawn that could run up to half an acre wide, this 12-inch cordless string trimmer/edger is an ideal helper to trim out those hard to reach edges and create a perfect looking lawn. This product is part of the Brushless G-Max series that is cordless and runs on lithium-ion batteries but just as powerful as the gas-powered tools. It has a top mount detachable motor head that is compatible with other power tools.
- Long battery runtime up to 60 minutes
- 12-inch cut path length ideal for vast lawns, wider coverage gets the job done faster
- Environment-friendly runs in rechargeable lithium battery
- Low noise and quiet operation
- Brushless motor and attachment capable
Here are some points to ponder when purchasing the Greenworks 12-inch 24V Cordless String Trimmer:
- Attachment capable, even with gas attachment tools of other brands
- Has a heavy and sturdy weight (15 lbs) that allows for a more stable trimming
- Comes with a shoulder strap for lighter handling during longer usage
- Length and weight are preferred by tall individuals and those with athletic built
- This is a heavy-duty, strong tool, best for full cutting jobs and not for light trimmings
- The guard is fixed and can’t be rotated so left-handed people may need to find an angle that works for them.
The battery for this product is sold separately. You can choose to purchase the tool only or bundled with a 2Ah, 4.0Ah, or 6Ah battery and charger.
Greenworks has long been a trusted name when it comes to manufacturing gardening equipment.
BLACK+DECKER LST400 20V Lithium High Performance Trimmer and Edger
The Black and Decker LST400 Trimmer and edger is part of the 20V Max System. This product has a 2-in-1 feature because it can convert from a trimmer to an edger with just a few clicks.
- 12-inches cut swath
- The maximum battery voltage of 20 and a minimum of 18
- Up to 60 minutes of runtime
- Automatic Feed Spool System with no bumping required and pre-wound 30-foot stool
- Lithium-ion batteries already included
Here are some points to ponder when purchasing the Black and Decker LST400 Trimmer and Edger:
- Has a runtime of up to 60 minutes
- 12-inch cut path length ideal for vast lawns, wider coverage gets the job done faster
- Very lightweight at only 7.8 lbs
- Adjustable length so you can adjust it according to your height
- Can be used only for light trimming, cannot be used for extremely overgrown grass
Black and Decker is a trusted and established brand name since 1910 well known for durable power tools and hardware equipment.
WORX Cordless String Trimmer and Blower WG929.1 Combo, 20V 2 Batteries, Grass Weed Edger
The WORK String Trimmer and Blower combo is a 2-in-1 grass weed edger is part of the WORX Power Share series. It can trim your lawn with the WG162 Grass Trimmer/Edger and then clean the grooves easily with the WG547 TURBINE cordless blower.
- 12-inches cut path
- 20 volts trimmer/edger and blower
- Wheel edging
- Has an adjustable handle to adjust to a more comfortable holding position
- Automatic single line feed
- The blower has a 2-speed control
- The blower weighs only 3.7 lbs when attached to the battery and can be held with one hand
Here are some points to ponder when purchasing the WORX Cordless String Trimmer and Blower:
- Both blower and trimmer runs very quietly
- Initial set-up is easy and will only take around 5 minutes
- Batteries are universal and can be used with other compatible tools
- Battery life runs at a lesser time so it is best only for small lawn
- The design is not ideal for left-handed people
WORX Cordless String Trimmer and Blower can be purchased with batteries included. WORX is a brand known for crafting tools, power tools, and lawn and garden equipment.
Kobalt 40-Volt Max 13-in Straight Cordless String Trimmer
The Kobalt 40-Volt String Trimmer is a heavy-duty grass cutter that can be used for a longer time up to ½ acres of land. Considering that it is cordless and powered by Lithium-ion batteries, this string trimmer is very powerful and can cut through grass, weeds, and overgrowth fast and efficient.
- 13-inches cut path
- Heavy-duty .080 dual line via bump feed head can cut through tough grass and weeds
- Has a high and low-speed setting for maximum control
- Dual auto line feed for added convenience
Here are some points to ponder when purchasing the Kobalt 40-Volt String Trimmer:
- 40-volt batteries are compatible with other Kobalt lawn care tools
- Easy to assemble
- The powerful cutting tool can cut through branches
- Just the right weight at 10 lbs for stable handling
- Ideal for moderate-sized lawns
- Long battery life, can last up to 60 minutes
- Works very well as a trimmer but can’t be doubled as an edger
Kobalt is a brand name owned by Lowe, the American home improvement chain. It has been around for more than two decades and has a line of outdoor and mechanic tools.
EGO Power+ ME0800 8-Inch Edger Attachment and Power Head Battery
The EGO Power+ ME0800 8-inch Edger is part of the EGO Power+ Multi-Head System. It is a Lithium-ion tool with the performance of gas power, less the fumes, noise, and fuss. It is very durable with its weather-resistant construct, keeping your tool safe under any condition.
- 9-inches edger attachment plus power head
- 3-inches max cutting depth
- Easy depth adjustment with the guide wheel
- The multi-head attachment works with all other EGO Power+ Multi-Head system tools
Here are some points to ponder when purchasing the EGO Power+ ME0800 8-inch Edger:
- Universal battery compatibility
- The battery lasts long and can be recharged quickly for about two hours or less
- Very heavy at 16.91 lbs, does not come with a shoulder strap so best to purchase one separately
EGO is known for having an all-battery powered platform. Their advanced ARC Lithium battery technology delivers powerful performance, longer runtime, and less charging time.
What is a Lawn Edger Used For?
A lawn edger serves different purposes. It is an essential tool when landscaping because it helps create boundaries between a paved area and a soft botanical ground. It trims grass, plant, and root overgrowth in cracks that are hard to clean up with a regular trimmer. The blades can be angled according to the cutting direction desired.
Do I Really Need a Lawn Edger?
If you have a vast lawn, paved walkway, and landscaping in your home, it means you need to trim your lawn every couple of weeks. Lawn trimming needs to be done every 4 to 8 weeks depending on the weather and soil condition. If you hire a contractor to do it for you, the cost would be an hourly labor rate multiplied by the number of people that will work on your lawn. That means you could end up paying a couple of hundred dollars for lawn maintenance every few months.
If you do the math, one full service would be enough for you to purchase a lawn edger and other tools needed for your lawn maintenance. Manual lawn trimming can take forever and even hurt your back. Having the right tools can make the job easier and faster. Your lawn will look like it’s been done by a professional. If you’re the type of person who likes to DIY, lawn maintenance tools are a practical investment if you think about it long-term. Some people find lawn maintenance very therapeutic, and with the right tools at your arsenal, can even be very fulfilling.
The Manual and Motorized Lawn Edgers
There are two types of lawn edgers – manual and motorized. Manual trimmers and edgers are pretty much easy to use and you can figure out its functions without much instruction. Let us focus on the motorized because this is the most convenient to use for properties with large lawns. It is also a bit more complicated to learn about especially for beginners.
Lawn edgers can be run by either gasoline or battery. Gasoline-powered edgers and trimmers are considered to be more powerful and can cut through thickets better. However, these are also heavier because of the weight of the gas tank. The higher the tank capacity, the heavier the equipment will be. The downside of gas-powered would be the noise and portability. The motor can be loud so it is mostly recommended for really big areas such as farms, acres of lands, and golf courses where there are fewer residential homes nearby. These are also not considered environmentally friendly because of the emissions.
An electric and battery-powered lawn edger is more lightweight. There are corded types that might limit your mobility so it is only best for small areas. It usually has a cord lock system that prevents it from getting unplugged while in use. Some cordless models are easier to move around the lawn without being restricted by the cord. Electric and battery-powered edgers also produce less noise. It can start instantly with a push of a button compared to gas-powered which usually requires a pull-start. If worried about the power and performance, take note that some of the latest lawn edger models in the market today also provide the same amount of powerful cutting force the same as gas models.
Lawn Edger Buying Guide
One important part of a lawn edger is the blade. The blade should have an adjustable depth feature that allows you to choose how deeply you want the blade to cut through the grass. It should also have a safety feature like the blade disengagement capability. This allows you to stop the blade from turning when needed or during an emergency. It is also best for the tool to have a blade guard, which prevents debris from flying around. Finally, the blade locks should be secure but easy enough to disassemble when the blade needs replacement.
The most common type of lawn edger will have a blade that is perpendicular to the ground. However, if you have other uses for it in mind, choose a model that allows the blade to be adjusted at an angle. These are advanced features often used by those who do trimmings for landscaping.
Electric and battery-powered lawn edgers cost so much less. You can buy one for around $100 or even less. These are the best choice for most homes because it has less noise, more portable, and is lightweight. A gasoline-powered trimmer and edger can cost around $1,000 in addition to the cost of gas.
Lastly, you need to consider safety. Always purchase one with safety features for the blade, cord lock, rear edger blade debris deflector, etc. Also, consider buying personal safety equipment such as gloves and goggles.
Based on the reviews, it is evident that a powerful cutting performance with longer battery life is the best feature users are looking for. The EGO Power+ ME0800 8-inch Edger clearly delivers on both features. This is a clear winner when aiming to clean up a vast lawn.
When it comes to durability and ease of use, the Black and Decker LST400 trimmer and edger seems to be the perfect fit. It is very lightweight at only half the weight compared to the other trimmers. This is an ideal product for homes with small to moderately sized lawns.
A lawn edger and trimmer is a powerful tool and without precautions can easily lead to accidents. No matter how small the job is, it is important to wear protective clothing such as goggles, pants, boots, and gloves. Always keep the tool turned off and unplugged to avoid accidents. Lastly, it is important to use it during the right weather and soil condition. The soil needs to be a bit dry to keep clumpy debris from getting stuck in the rotation.
A lawn edger is a great and powerful tool that makes the heavy job of lawn maintenance easier, resulting in a cleaner looking lawn and garden. Your neighbors would think it is done by a professional!