Best Lawn Sweeper
A clean lawn is an attractive lawn – but it’s also a very time-consuming job keeping it clean. Even with the help of a rake, strong gusts of wind can quickly scatter these leaves all over again. In the interest of efficiency, devoted homeowners such as myself opt for lawn sweepers to do the job. Even better, many lawn sweepers today come with awesome features so finding one is never a problem!
Read our Best Lawn Sweeper Review to find out.
- Agri-Fab 45-0492 Lawn Sweeper, 44-Inch (Editors choice - High Quality)
- Brinly STS-427LXH 20 Cubic Feet Tow Behind Lawn Sweeper, 42-Inch (Runner up)
- Ohio Steel 42SWP22 Sweeper Spiral Brush, 42"/22 cu. ft. (Amazing Price)
- Craftsman CMXGZBF7124266 42 22-cu ft Tow Hi-Speed Lawn Sweeper, Width, Red (Affordable Product)
- Yard Tuff YTF-38STQA QA Lawn Sweeper (Great Product)
Agri-Fab 45-0492 Lawn Sweeper, 44-Inch
Don’t be intimidated by the size of this 44-inch lawn sweeper. Despite the size, it actually comes with semi-pneumatic tires that allow for a smooth transport on the yard.
There’s no need to get on and off the tractor just to get the sweeper unstuck from the ground. The hitch is also universal so it doesn’t matter what kind of tractor you own – the Agri-Fab can be easily attached to it for ready use.
The sweeper comes with four brushes that sweep through the surface area and conveniently place the leaves inside the attached bag. The height of the brush can also be adjusted to fit the terrain you’re working on. When you’re done, just dump the leaves through the convenient steel release valve and continue with the work.
Once you’re done with all that, put the lawn sweeper back in storage. The beauty here is that the product can be folded down into 30 percent of its original size. This makes it perfect for garages with minimal storage space.
- This is actually a 2-in-1 product capable of cutting and sweeping the lawn at the same time.
- The design of the handle lets you quickly dump the leaves into a convenient pile without getting off the tractor.
- It doesn’t drag so even if you hit moles or bumps, there won’t be trails of unpicked leaves behind you. Simply put – the lawn sweepers manage to sweep in near perfect portions.
- The product needs to be assembled once it arrives. Fortunately, there’s also a video guide to help with the assembly process.
Brinly STS-427LXH 20 Cubic Feet Tow Behind Lawn Sweeper, 42-Inch
This product from Brinly comes with six brushes that can be adjusted depending on the ground you’re working on. Despite the size, it’s actually very easy to roll around the area thanks to the quality wheels.
The bags are capable of holding as much as 20 cubic feet of lawn leaves, pine needles, old grass, and grass clippings – leaving you with a near perfect lawn in just one passing. The hamper itself is built for durability using polyweave fabric that’s resistant to any bumps or pokes it might encounter on the ground surface.
The design comes with an ergonomic handle that you can pull even while sitting on the tractor. This handle releases the content of the bag into one neat pile in the yard – allowing you to get back to sweeping without having to move from your seat on the tractor.
When you’re done with all that work, the lawn sweeper can be collapsed into a convenient height. This way, it won’t eat up too much of your garage for storage.
- The brushes are high-velocity and designed in such a way that they can still pick up debris even as you’re executing a turn in the tractor. This guarantees that you don’t have to come back to the same area in order to get a clean sweep.
- The brand lets you buy replacement parts for the model so don’t worry too much if you encounter problems while using the item.
- Make sure to use this lawn sweeper at speeds of 3 to 5 mph. Any faster and you’ll damage the integrity of the product.
- It takes some work to put it together since the model comes to you pre-assembled.
Ohio Steel 42SWP22 Sweeper Spiral Brush, 42"/22 cu. ft.
Wonderfully lightweight and equipped with propylene brushes, this lawn sweeper comes with a universal hitch so connecting it to any tractor is quick, efficient, and painless.
It’s a pull-behind type and thanks to the unique material of the brushes, there’s very little stress placed on the gears as it rotates across the lawn. What does this mean, function-wise? Well, this translates to better pick-up of the brushes. Since they’re fairly lightweight, it doesn’t take much work for the gears to keep them moving.
You can be sure that the brushes continue to do their job regardless of how many leaves you need to clear out of the terrain. This is made even better by the fact that the bin has a wide chute so there’s no clogging when masses of leaves are swept closely together.
Once filled, the bin can be released from the side for a quick dump. Once done – just continue with the rest of the yard until it’s completely clear! Depending on the size of your yard, the product should cut the time for clearing by more than 50 percent compared to using a rake.
- Can be used for a variety of lawn materials – not just leaves! You need to make height adjustments on the brush, though.
- The patented plastic brushes are well designed, capable of sweeping in the leaves without clogging or sticking onto the stick of the spirals.
- The storage for the leaves isn’t as extensive as other lawn sweepers in the market today.
- The process of removing the hopper requires a learning curve, especially if you’re used to other brands.
Craftsman CMXGZBF7124266 42 22-cu ft Tow Hi-Speed Lawn Sweeper, Width, Red
This particular lawn sweeper is built in the United States and has 18 bushels worth of hopper capacity, making it perfect for larger lawns. The sweeping is done by reinforced brushes that consistently push leaves into the bag with minimal clogging.
As mentioned, the way this works is that the wheels rotate the brushes so it’s important that lawn sweepers are designed with the brush and wheel in perfect coordination. For this particular model, the wheels are done with a diamond tread so there’s virtually no stoppage during use. Offering perfect traction, you can be confident knowing that the lawn sweeper is doing exactly what it’s supposed to as it trails behind the tractor all through the yard.
The wheel ratio is at 8.5 by 1, which basically means that for each complete turn of the wheels, the brushes rotate multiple times. This guarantees a clean sweep of the yard surface – leaving no leaves or other lawn materials behind. To empty out the hopper, just pull on the lever from the tractor seat and dump the leaves in a convenient area.
- The product performs beautifully even on wet surfaces. Considering that leaves tend to resist being picked up when wet, the model still manages to do its job with a near perfect pick up rate.
- It doesn’t just work on leaves. The brush design makes it possible to pick up other lawn materials, including pine cones.
- The instructions that come with the product isn’t perfect – just assemble it yourself. The build is easy enough that you don’t need the instructions anyway.
Yard Tuff YTF-38STQA QA Lawn Sweeper
This particular model is perhaps the smallest one in this list, having only a 38-inch wide sweeping path. However, it does contain 4 brushes with a sweep ratio of 4 to 1, giving you four brush rotations per single rotation of the wheels. This guarantees that there’s no leaf left behind as you move through the backyard.
The brush that comes with the model is specially designed to prevent slippage. You can also adjust the height so it can be used for any terrain or any type of lawn material. From pine cones to tiny leaf scraps – this lawn sweeper gets them all! The hitch is also universal so you can use it whether you own an ATV or a tractor.
Capacity-wise, you can get around 12.5 cubic feet worth of lawn material before having to dump it into one big pile. Once done – just fold it up neatly for efficient storage!
- Perfectly functional with a size that’s just right for small lawns.
- Good quality build – the parts come together beautifully once you figure out the instructions
- Instructions for assembly needs a bit of work so you might have to wing it when this product arrives on your doorstep.
What Are the Benefits of Lawn Sweepers?
Lawn sweepers are the ultimate backyard tool for home owners who love the ambience of trees but hate the piles of leaves in their backyard – especially during fall season. If you have a pretty big yard and not enough time to rake the leaves, then a lawn sweeper will let you do the job quickly and easily.
This is actually perfect for people who can’t stand for long periods of time since the lawn sweeper is typically hitched to a tractor. It sweeps lawn debris into a compartment that can easily take in two bin bags worth of lawn material. This means that instead of carrying a bag around, you’ll be free to have the lawn sweeper do the work.
Even better – dumping the contents of the bag into one convenient pile can be accomplished by simply pushing a lever to release the contents. As a bonus, the sheer size of the lawn sweeper compartment means you don’t have to make as many trips in between emptying out the leaves.
How Do You Use Lawn Sweepers?
Lawn sweepers are used together with tractors so make sure you have one before buying a lawn sweeper. After hitching the sweeper behind the tractor, you start driving through the lawn at a low speed, making sure to pass through areas where the leaves or debris can be found.
There’s also the “push” type lawn sweeper that you push around the lawn in order to get debris. In this article however, were’ discussing tow lawn sweepers, which is the kind you attach behind tractors.
As the wheels of the sweeper rotate, the internal brushes sweep leaves and debris into the bag compartment. As long as you’re passing through leaves, the sweeper will do its job until the bag is completely full. When you’re done, just dump the contents in a big pile and do it all over again until you’ve cleared all the leaves!
Really, using a lawn sweeper is a pretty straightforward process. Most sweepers today even come with multiple brushes so that they can pick up close to 99 percent of lawn debris in just one swoop.
Things to Look for When Buying One
When checking out lawn sweepers, you need to be mindful of two things: (1) the size of your lawn and (2) the kind of debris you’ll pick up with the sweeper. These two factors will determine how you make your purchase.
Small yards can make do with smaller sweepers of around 21 inches – but bigger yards obviously need something more. Often, many homeowners find that a sweeper of 40 to 45 inches allows for a happy medium.
Next, you want to look into the height adjustment feature. Every sweeper should have this – allowing you to take in even the smallest bit of lawn debris.
Take a look at the capacity of the bin compartment where all the collected debris goes. Is it large enough so that you can take minimum trips for dumping it out? Once you determine what you need with those features, everything else is just an additional convenience.
Finally – don’t forget to look into what other people say about the lawn sweeper. This can provide you insights about how the sweeper actually performs when used.
To wrap it up, there are really multiple choices for lawn sweepers in the market today. It’s just a matter of finding the one that best suits your needs when it comes to the size of your lawn, the lawn materials you want picked up, and various other factors.
Of the five however, the clear winner is Agri-Fab 45-0492 Lawn Sweeper, 44-Inch. It’s a healthy size for small to medium sizes yards, the height adjustment is perfect, and you can dump the gathered leaves with a quick and easy lever. What really sets it off however are the added features – including the cutting/sweeping function which lets you really trim your lawn in one convenient pass.