Best Small Storage Sheds
Not everybody has a large space to use in their backyard to put everything and keep things organized. And not everyone has a habit of keeping things together after a long day in the backyard.
If you are any of these, you should get small storage shed to keep your tools and equipment neat and tidy.
Read our Best Small Storage Sheds Review to find out.
- Suncast 5'x3' Horizontal Stow-Away Storage Shed - Natural Wood-like Outdoor Storage for Trash Cans and Yard Tools (Editors choice - High Quality)
- Rubbermaid Small Horizontal Resin Weather Resistant Outdoor Garden Storage Shed, Olive and Sandstone (Runner up)
- Kinying Horizontal Outdoor Storage Shed for Garden, Patios, Backyards, Multiple Opening Direction (Amazing Price)
- HOMSPARK Horizontal Storage Shed Weather Resistance, Multi-Purpose Outdoor Storage Box for Backyards and Patios (Affordable Product)
- LIFETIME 60326 Vertical Storage Shed, Pack of 1, Desert Sand (Great Product)
Suncast 5'x3' Horizontal Stow-Away Storage Shed - Natural Wood-like Outdoor Storage for Trash Cans and Yard Tools
The Suncast Stow-Away Horizontal shed has a 70 cubic feet capacity for storing different tools. The low-profile design shed has three-door openings for easier access.
I love how the opening lid can easily make me reach my most used gardening tools without bending my knees low. I can keep it open while keeping the main doors closed. Anyway, you can padlock each of these doors, including the lids, so you can be sure that your precious tools are safe from burglars.
This small storage shed is as robust as how you see it. It has double panels, which can stand unpredictable weather.
The height is about 4 feet and 1-1/2 inches and has a width of 5 feet and 5-1/2 inches so you can store in trash bins, kid’s bicycles, and your gardening supplies.
- The multi-walled propylene panels keep the shed off of rust and easy to clean.
- Its design can easily blend with the surroundings.
- The three-door locking mechanisms are pad-lockable.
- It has robust flooring for heavy-duty use and free from termite infestations.
- Heavy exposure to the sun can stress out the lid.
- You have to assemble it correctly to make the doors fully functional.
Rubbermaid Small Horizontal Resin Weather Resistant Outdoor Garden Storage Shed, Olive and Sandstone
The Rubbermaid Roughneck small horizontal shed has a stylish lid that covers 15 to 25 cubic feet of storage. It is available in olive or sandstone shades. It is much shorter than the Stow Away in 36 inches height and a bit thinner with 55 inches width. So if you have a smaller space to use up for your shed, this one is for you.
You can store in gardening supplies and most used tools. Its compact design secures everything with its double-wall panels. There is a slot for adding up a shelf, so you can even place small pots or tools from there and have things neatly organized. You will probably need a 1 x 6-inch board because the shelf does not come with your purchase.
- The double-wall panels are resistant to leaks, water, rust, and dents.
- The floor takes up heavy tools and impacts with protection from water and termites.
- It has lockable three openings for added security.
- The structure is easy to clean.
- Options to place a shelf or hangers.
- The aesthetically pleasing design blends well with your garden.
- The screws may not hold the structure together firmly.
- Improper assembly may result in misaligned doors.
Kinying Horizontal Outdoor Storage Shed for Garden, Patios, Backyards, Multiple Opening Direction
Kinying horizontal plastic storage shed is a high-density polyethylene constructed shed perfect to mount on your balcony. The shed comes with iron bars support to prevent deformation.
Its off-white shade blends well with your patio or at the side of your house. It’s a bit higher than the Rubbermaid Roughneck with 41 inches height but a bit narrow with 50 inches width.
It has two doors and an opening lid, which you can keep open with a locking stand. One thing you’d like about this shed is the cover is UV resistant that letting it out in the sun is not a problem.
You can opt to add two layers of shelves inside this shed. However, the laminated shelving should come from a separate purchase.
- Made from durable high-density polyethylene with iron-bars support
- Three-way locking system to secure your garden tools
- A locking stand to support the opening lid when in use
- Accommodates two 33-gallon trash bins
- Can easily anchor on the ground
- A draining system in the flooring
- Has slots for two layers of laminated shelves
- It has 26-cubic feet storage.
- Needs to purchase separate shelving and anchor bolts
HOMSPARK Horizontal Storage Shed Weather Resistance, Multi-Purpose Outdoor Storage Box for Backyards and Patios, 26 Cubic Feet Capacity
Homspark horizontal shed has a 26 cubic feet storage capacity made of compact high-density polyethylene. With a height of 41 inches and a width of 29 inches, it can accommodate two 32-gallon trash cans, kid’s bikes, and still have ample space for BBQ grills and gardening tools.
The blow-molded resin panels have double-wall construction that can withstand challenging weather yet remains stylish in off-white color. It has six panels made of this compact material so abusing this shed is not a problem.
It has a long lever that supports the lid, so you don’t have to keep opening the doors and have easier access to your most-used tools.
There are also two dedicated shelf slots, but you need to buy them separately. It’s about 46 inches long, 13 inches wide and an inch thick.
However, you might get confused when the package arrives as it comes in two-delivery installments.
- Made of compact high-density polyethylene
- Has double-wall panel construction
- Waterproof, weather-resistant, and dent-resistant
- Easy maintenance
- Locking lever for the lid
- Stylish design complements the environment
- Can only fit kid’s bikes
- You’ll need interpretations for manual assembly instructions
LIFETIME 60326 Vertical Storage Shed, Pack of 1, Desert Sand
The only vertical storage in this list has a massive 51.25 cubic feet storage capacity. One thing you’d like about this shed is it’s both impact and UV resistant. It means that the surfaces of the panels are free from chipping and color-fading.
Its moisture resistance makes it easy to clean. Also, it is resistant to stain.
There are already two shelves included in this shed, so it has more room for taller tools like rakes and push mowers.
Steel-reinforced, the walls have rough-cut finishing that resembles wood grain texture.
It has sliding patch locks for better security. All you have to do is assemble this shed, and it’s ready to use.
- Accommodates taller tools
- With two 30 x 100-inch shelves
- Moisture resistant
- Steel-reinforced panels
- Padlock loops
- UV-resistance prevents fading
- Will take higher space than the others.
- May take up to 4 hours assembling the panels.
- You may need to use a power drill and ratchet to assemble this shed.
- Doors may take time to seal at first use.
What is a Small Storage Shed?
A small storage shed is a storage space or a small structure wherein you keep things in your backyard like gardening tools, bikes, toys, or anything that should not be left outdoors. You may call them small garden sheds. However, you’d still be using them to store equipment not used for gardening.
Why a Small Shed?
Not everyone will need a huge space to store things. Some states will require licenses for building a large shed.
And if you’re just putting your shed in the backyard, you probably don’t need that extra-large shed to take up space.
From the start, you must conclude how much you could be keeping on your shed before deciding on having one.
The Benefits of Small Storage Shed
If you’re still having doubts about placing a storage shed in your backyard, here’s how it helps.
Organize Your Gardening Tools
Having a storage shed will help you keep things in the right places. There will be a dedicated space for tools, toys, bikes, chemicals, shovel, rake, or basically, anything that shouldn’t be out in the backyard when not in use.
Besides, looking at your little investments neatly piled-up is satisfying.
Find Your Tools Easier When You Need Them
When you have a storage shed, you don’t have to waste more time looking for a tool covered by the others. All you have to do is go back to its dedicated space in the shed so you can continue gardening.
Keep Hazardous Materials in One Place
This benefit is one of the most significant functions of a storage shed. You don’t want your kids or pets to get the reach of harmful chemicals like herbicides or pesticides.
Free Up Space in the Backyard or Garage
If you have a storage shed, you can sort tools for the garage and tools for gardening.
Improve Your Garden’s Aesthetics or Appearance
Organized storage leaves unnecessary clutter out of sight. A clean backyard improves its appearance and makes your garden greener.
Add Value to Your Property
Getting a storage shed is an investment
Should You Build Your Storage Shed or Buy a Pre-Made Shed?
The answer depends on you. If you’re the type who would rather save time and effort in building one, then you should buy and relieve yourself from the worry of creating one.
However, if you are someone who’d like to do things on your own, then you might enjoy building one.
And if you still cannot decide, here are some reasons to buy or to build a small storage shed.
Reasons to Build a Small Storage Shed
- Set your budget - Controlling the building costs leaves more money to spend on other things.
- Unlimited customization - Building your storage shed encourages a more personalized approach.
- Design your shed - Create a design according to your taste.
- Choose the quality of your shed - You’ll have the freedom to choose the materials to use.
- Choose the size of your preference - You can have a better look at the space your shed will take and the size of the shed you can make.
- Cheaper - You don’t have to pay for a brand. That means you can save more and allocate saved money for other expenses.
Reasons Not to Build a Small Storage Shed
- Time-consuming - Building your shed will take your time until it gets done.
- Needs woodworking skills - You must have essential working skills from choosing the timber, to building one.
- Provide your building tools - If it’s your first time building structures, then you’ll need different tools, like cutting saws, hammers, power tools, etc.
- Takes up personal space, effort, and time - It will take hours to build one, so you may use up a working day or more.
- You may need a helper - Some building tasks may need another hand because doing alone won’t work.
Reasons to Buy a Small Storage Shed
- It’s pre-made - You’ll not have to worry about designing as it comes built.
- Saves time - All you have to do is to shop.
- Saves resources, trial time, and error - You don’t have to worry about wasting resources because you don’t know how to do it.
- Needs no woodworking skills
- Warranty options - You can claim for return or after-sales service when there’s a problem with your shed.
- Professional designs - The measurements are accurate and well-planned by experts.
- Does not require buying essential and power tools for building - You don’t have to buy another tool so you can build it.
Reasons Not to Buy a Small Storage Shed
- Not customizable - You’ll shop for fixed sizes and designs.
- More expensive - Pay for brand costs.
- Fixed-size - Although you can rebuild it according to your preferred size, it may void the warranty.
Things to Consider when Buying a Storage Shed
By this time, you probably want to buy a small storage shed. However, you do not simply pick the first small storage shed you see online.
Price and Budget
You have to know how much you can afford when buying a small storage shed.
Look out for your preference: wood, metal, or shed. Also, consider the quality materials of the wall and siding materials used.
Check how much space you are willing to allocate for your small storage shed.
Design and Your Current Landscape
Check out the ease of access for large tools, divisions, and compartments. Also, see how its design will blend with your current landscape.
Local Building and HOA Rules
Some localities will require permits to add a shed to your property. Check out the building code in your area and see the shed sizes covered by the local bylaws.
Flooring and Foundation
Check the flooring and foundation of the shed before buying. Look out for future problems in the concrete or drainage . See termite protection or critter. Is it portable or permanent?
Ease of Installation
Check out how long it takes to install a shed. Does it come with a kit?
Things to Store in it Now and in the Future
Think about the things you’ll put inside your storage shed. Also, don’t forget the ones you may likely store in the future.
Delivery or Shipment
It pays to know how you are going to bring the shed home. Do you have to pick it up? How much are you paying for the shipping fee?
Now that you know the things to consider when buying small storage shed, browsing online could confuse you. To make selection easy for you, we have piled up a shortlist of the best small storage shed you can choose from.
In general, these compact small storage sheds are better investments for your backyard. Not only does it keep your tools and gardening supplies tidy, but they also contribute to the overall appearance of your garden.
Keeping your tools organized is a good practice to teach the kids as gardening is also a great way to bond with them. The thing is, you only need thirty minutes to two hours to set things up and be free of unnecessary clutter. There is only a couple or three handy tools to help you put them together and mount this thing anywhere in your backyard.
All it takes is to have that one dedicated small space in your backyard to secure your precious tools.