A garden with too many weeds and tall grass is not pretty to look at. When you want your backyard to always look well-maintained, you’ll need a string trimmer for the upkeep. String trimmers can reach areas that your regular lawn mowers can’t. These are lightweight yet precise power tools.
Read our Best String Trimmer Review to find out.
Our Best String Trimmer for 2020
- Greenworks 13-Inch 4 Amp Electric Corded String Trimmer 21212 (Editors choice - High Quality)
- DEWALT FLEXVOLT 60V MAX String Trimmer, Brushless, Two Speed, 15-Inch, 3-Ah Battery (DCST970X1) (Runner up)
- Worx WG930 20V 10" Cordless String Trimmer & TURBINE Blower Combo Kit (Amazing Price)
- CRAFTSMAN V60 WEEDWACKER String Trimmer (CMCST960E1) (Affordable Product)
- ECHO SRM-225 String Trimmer, 21.2CC, 17 In. (Great Product)
Greenworks 13-Inch 4 Amp Electric Corded String Trimmer 21212
This 4 Amp 13” string trimmer from Greenworks helps provide a manicured yard without spending hours completing the task. It has a telescoping handle and a unique twist-n-edge flip out edge guide. It can be used in many different landscaping projects. It comes with a 3-year warranty.
This string trimmer is ideal for use in a fairly small yard, like a 10x10 lawn area.
- Relatively lightweight which makes it comfortable to use. Though small, it can weed through a large foliage of grass.
- It features an automatic feeding spool, which makes it more convenient to use.
- It is efficient. You don‘t need to trim the yard too often.
- Unit rarely jams.
- For its battery life and price, the product is a good buy.
- This string trimmer, like all the other Greenworks products have zero carbon footprint.
- Reach is quite limited. You might need to purchase an extension cord separately.
- The automatic advance might not work properly if you use only one string instead of two.
- The replacement cartridge might be difficult to use.
- Finding replacement line cord could be a challenge.
DEWALT FLEXVOLT 60V MAX String Trimmer, Brushless, Two Speed, 15-Inch, 3-Ah Battery (DCST970X1)
This tool from DEWALT is designed to cut through tough overgrowth. It is made to withstand daily heavy-duty usage. It comes with an efficient brushless motor. It runs on a FLEXVOLT 20/V60V battery pack.
- Lightweight. It is comfortable to use.
- Its ergonomic design lessens the stress on the user’s arms. The design allows users to take full control of the tool when in use.
- Features Hi/Lo speed control, providing additional power and extended runtime.
- Its brushless motor efficiently helps maximize runtime and motor life.
- The gear drive design easily allows the trimmer to power through tough overgrowth. It is designed for heavy duty usage daily.
- Less maintenance unlike gas-powered outdoor trimmers.
- Low noise. It is good for noise-sensitive properties.
- Limited by battery life.
- It has no pull start.
Worx WG930 20V 10" Cordless String Trimmer & TURBINE Blower Combo Kit
This cordless trimmer from Worx boasts of the GT Revolution, which is changing the way people care for their lawn. It features the innovative 3-in-1 converting head. You can use it as a trimmer, a wheeled edger, and a mini-mower. Transition from one function to another takes seconds. This Turbine Blower has a high-capacity air volume machine that cuts the task into half. It can be easily held with just one hand.
- Versatility – mow, trim, edge, blow. Provides a professionally
- Longer telescoping shaft, which can be used comfortably by taller users. Height is adjustable so anybody can use it.
- It is completely adjustable, featuring a 6-position handle for easier and more comfortable grip.
- Cordless, lightweight, and handy. The tool can be carried comfortably as you work your way to the entire yard.
- With 2-speed control that allows you to perform different jobs such as sweeping the pavement or blowing out the tight corners.
- Feature the turbine technology wherein the blower can spin out for a thick, more forceful stream of air.
- Features support wheels for easier handling and maneuvering.
- Comes with safety guard and flower guard.
- May be limited by battery life.
- Charging actually takes more than one hour contrary to what is advertised.
CRAFTSMAN V60 WEEDWACKER String Trimmer (CMCST960E1)
The Craftsman V60 model is a brushless motor that runs at 2.5 Ah battery pack. It boasts of a two-speed switch for added power and more efficient cutting. It features a Quickwind Spool System for faster replacement. The unit comes with a warranty of 4 years, which is more than what other brands offer.
- Ergonomic design. Adjustable pole length to fit the user’s height.
- It is lighter than older string trimmers.
- Cordless. It provides more flexibility without having to worry about pulling the cords.
- Extended run time. Its brushless motor boasts of a high performance battery pack with 2.5 Ah, which provides longer runtime. Its 2-speed switch offers extra power.
- Battery charges for about 45 minutes only for approximately one and a half hours of use. It has a battery level indicator.
- Efficient. It features a 15-inch cutting swath.
- VERSATRACK compatible. The unit uses integrated hook for hanging directly on the VERSATRACK wall organization system. Note that this is sold separately.
- Usually limited by battery life. Battery-operated tools don’t run as long as gas-based ones. They cannot be “refilled” quickly as there is a charging time for the battery.
- Guard is quite small, which makes it dangerous. Rocks and small twigs might fly towards people nearby.
- The parts are not interchangeable with other models and brands.
ECHO SRM-225 String Trimmer, 21.2CC, 17 In.
This is a fuel-type gas string trimmer offered by ECHO.
- Features engine-vibration reduction system for easier handling and maneuvering.
- This unit is fuel-efficient.
- It comes with a two-stroke engine for maximum power.
- Bigger fuel tank capacity of 14.9 oz.
- Bigger cutting width of 17 inches.
- Shaft is the straight/flex cable type at 59 inches long.
- Durable. It is designed for heavy duty usage.
- It starts easily.
- Hard to find parts or attachments. Finding replacements will cost you as much as buying a brand new trimmer.
Trimmers vs. Lawn Mowers
It is quite difficult to make a comparison between a string trimmer and a lawn mower since both are used for different purposes. The lawn mower is used for much of the cutting whereas the trimmer acts as the finisher. The trimmer is used for cleaning up spots that the lawn mower wasn’t able to reach or might have missed. When you use both these tools, maintenance of the garden is easier with accurate results.
The Pros and Cons of Using a String Trimmer
When trying to weigh on your options, you have to look at the pros and cons of using this tool. A lot of homeowners may prefer to use the trimmer, but this is not a tool for everyone.
One of the perks of the trimmer is its compact design. You can use it for hard to reach spots. These are versatile tools which can remove weeds and grass in precise motions. You can also use it to clean out weedy patches that may appear through some cracks in the sidewalk.
The trimmer is lightweight and allows for easy storage. It is inexpensive.
One of the drawbacks of using a trimmer, particularly a gas trimmer, is that it can be quite loud, and it emits fumes. The trimmer has a cordless variety, but the use is restricted because of the life of the rechargeable battery. The corded types are most affordable, but you’ll need to purchase an extension cord to use it comfortably.
Features of the Trimmer
We have listed below some of the features and specifications of the trimmer that you need to know. This will guide you as you look for the trimmer that will help you achieve the garden finish that you have long wanted to have.
Gas trimmers have two-cycle engines, which allow a good balance of power and weight. It runs on a blend of gasoline and oil. You will need to learn how to fuel the trimmer yourself or you can buy the pre-mixed kind.
The four-cycle engine options run on gasoline only. This eliminates the need to mix fuel. However, it is heavier than the two-cycle engine types. It would also need regular oil changes.
A straight shaft trimmer is used to reach under the benches and decks. On the other hand, the curved shaft variety is designed to be able to reach tight areas.
The trimmer also features an adjustable shaft that allows you to change the height when you need to use it.
The trimmer has a cutting swath which is an indicator of how big or small the tool can work on.
The edger-capable string trimmer is easily convertible from trimmer to edger. Some designs have wheels or guides for faster and cleaner edging.
The tools with single-line heads simplify winding new trimming line. While the dual-line heads cut the trimming time in half.
The automatic-feed heads release new line when needed. The fixed-line heads is for faster loading of precut pieces of line without winding.
The fast-loading spools allow you to insert new line and then wind it without removing the spool.
The trimmer comes with different speed controls for every level of power for a variety of cutting conditions.
You can buy different replacement heads. You have to make sure that they are compatible with your trimmer, though.
How to Choose the Trimmer that Satisfies Your Garden Needs
There are different varieties of the trimmer. We have listed them here with their pros and cons.
Pros: Has a large cutting swath of 16 to 18 inches. Can be used for a big yard.
Cons: Noise, pollution, weight, maintenance. You’ll need to keep oil and cash on hand for faster refill.
It is inexpensive, it can clean a big yard for 2 cycles. It runs on a mix of oil and gas.
This is ideal for a bigger yard. It is more expensive but is easier to start, it is quieter, it runs smoother, pollutes less, and it doesn’t need an oil-gas mix.
The brush cutter is used to flatten brush and saplings. The handlebars fit most gas-powered trimmers, but the movements are limited for string edging.
Pros: Portable, lightweight, less noise, inexpensive
Cons: Less power. Use is limited by battery life or extension-cord reach. Cutting swath between 12 to 15 inches. Can’t be used for brush cutting.
It has the power to clean up a suburban yard. You’ll need outdoor outlets and long extension cords, though. This design doesn’t cost much as well.
The cordless variety is powered by rechargeable battery. It can be used to cut grass and weeds in a smaller area. Its design allows for easier storage.
These are the five tools we consider as the most reliable string trimmers available on the market today. We were most impressed with one brand.
For us, the clear winner among the five is the CRAFTSMAN WEEDWACKER String Trimmer.
You need tools that will last for a long time and this trimmer from CRAFTSMAN may just be what you need. It is environment-friendly as it is not gas-powered. The smell of gas is not good for the health, too. This battery-operated tool is a good choice if you want something that is not only good for the environment, but good for your family’s health as well.
This trimmer has a lot of plus points, including flexibility in your movements. Handheld trimmers should be handy and easy to carry; this tool is light and has an ergonomic design.
It is versatile as you can use this simple tool for three tasks. That’s value for your money since you don’t need to purchase several tools.
It is durable, allowing you to use it everyday without having to worry about the tool breaking down in the middle of cleaning the front yard. The string is more heavy duty compared to other brands and models.
It comes with a fast charger, you get full capacity in about 45 minutes. From this, you can use it for 1.5 hours. It has a level indicator, so you are aware when it needs charging. The battery may last longer when the trimmer is set at a slower, less powerful speed.
Gas-powered trimmers can become quite annoying over time. You’ll need to pull the strings to jumpstart the operation. There will be instances when it may fail, or you’ll need multiple pulls to start it.
If you have been using gas-powered tools for the yard, it’s now time to consider purchasing a tool that is battery operated, like the CRAFTSMAN brand. Think about your and your family’s health, as well as the health of the environment.
The CRAFTSMAN WEEDWACKER string trimmer is a good buy indeed.