No one wants to spoil the fun of home gardening just because of moving heavy things back and forth. Worry not of ruining the enjoyment because a wheelbarrow will keep that from happening.
Wheelbarrows achieve and complete garden duties with such ease. It helps move soil, rocks, plants, fertilizers, and compost. You can even tend alone to your garden with the use of this tool.
Read our Best Wheelbarrow Review to find out.
- Garden Star Marathon Yard Rover – 2 Tire Wheelbarrow Garden Cart - Green/Black (Editors choice - High Quality)
- Jackson M6T22 M6T22KB Wheelbarrow, 6-Cubic Foot Capacity, Blue (Runner up)
- Marathon Dual-Wheel Residential Yard Rover Wheelbarrow - Pumpkin - 5 Cubic Foot Poly Tray (Amazing Price)
- Westward Wheelbarrow, Poly, 10 Cu. Ft, Pneumatic (Affordable Product)
- Bosmere Folding Wheelbarrow (Great Product)
Garden Star Marathon Yard Rover – 2 Tire Wheelbarrow Garden Cart - Green/Black
- This Garden Star Wheelbarrow has a five-cubic foot durable plastic tub that can hold up to 300 lbs. Polypropylene comprises the wheelbarrow, making it 25% lighter than a common wheelbarrow and freeing you from worrying about rust damage.
- It also features ergonomic loop handles for easier pushing, pulling, and maneuvering. Furthermore, it can be stored upright or hanged on a wall, covering only minimum space.
- This wheelbarrow has two pneumatic tires, which creates balance and weight distribution, allowing it to move smoothly over rough terrains.
- Assembling this barrow requires a flat-head screwdriver and a crescent wrench, which only takes a few minutes. This will be a breeze if you are an expert do-it-yourselfer or an IKEA fanatic.
- With a polypropylene material, it is more affordable than the other recommendations made up of metal. This is a good and practical choice for lightweight garden works, such as hauling garbage bags, lumber, mulch, and leaves. Just bear in mind not to overload the tub to avoid cracking.
- Available in green or black colors whichever suit your style.
Jackson M6T22 M6T22KB Wheelbarrow, 6-Cubic Foot Capacity, Blue
- This Jackson Wheelbarrow is well-built and sturdy, which is suitable for gardening or even landscaping or construction needs. The parts are easy to assemble without much difficulty and complication.
- The load tub and support are made of robust steel, providing a solid foundation for the wheelbarrow and convenient usage. Furthermore, the heavy-duty tub has a high enclosure with a low center of gravity, which is great for unloading heavy load. The support is further equipped with leg stabilizers, offering a more 40% tip-resistance.
- This wheelbarrow can hold up to six cubic feet with 60-inch wooden handles, offering superior handling of your task.
- The single 16-inch tubed tire smooths the movements, whether on soft or rough surfaces.
- It uniquely features a tipping crossbar located at the front of the tire, which provides safe unloading and pivoting. However, you may find it too low when it hits the ground sometimes when maneuvering.
- Since the tool has wooden handles, it may be prone to weather exposure, which may lead to cracking. However, good care of the wheelbarrow will make it last.
- If you need a barrow that handles its tasks evenly, consider this Jackson wheelbarrow.
Marathon Dual-Wheel Residential Yard Rover Wheelbarrow - Pumpkin - 5 Cubic Foot Poly Tray
- An addition to our list of lightweight wheelbarrows is this fun pumpkin orange-colored Residential Yard Rover Wheelbarrow.
- Since you just need to tighten eight bolts in place, assembling it will not take up too much of your time at all.
- The load tub is also a rust-proof plastic that can carry within its five cubic feet capacity. With enough maintenance, this barrow can last for a long period and see through the fruits of your garden labor.
- This wheelbarrow features an ergonomic design, making use of tough but comfortable loop handles made from a steel frame. It is a fine choice for gardeners of all ages since you can easily push it just like a shopping cart.
- Another thing of joy from this barrow is its flat-free wheels. In other words, you don’t have to be bothered about reinflating the tires. These are 13-inch solid polyurethane wheels, serving balance and convenience. Eliminate tire punctures from your worries since these flat-free tires solved that for you.
- The solid tires make it easier to maneuver, but they also make the front part heavy. A bendable cotter pin holds the wheels in place; thus, it is more recommended to move the barrow on smoother surfaces.
- If you are looking for a barrow that is no chore when being used, this flat free dual-wheel Yard Rover Wheelbarrow will meet your criteria.
Westward Wheelbarrow, Poly, 10 Cu. Ft, Pneumatic
- Looking for another lightweight option? Have a look with this Westward Wheelbarrow consists of a deep tub of 24 inches with 10 cubic feet capacity. Spilling your soil or leaves will not be a problem since it has high and defined walls.
- Its tub is made up of polyethylene material, meaning it has a better chance against cold temperature when exposed and resists most liquids. Moreover, it accumulates less dirt and dust, so cleaning will not be a trouble. The barrow is also a good insulator, marking you safe from any electrocution when you decide to add some lights to your garden.
- High-quality handles can also be expected from this wheelbarrow since it is composed of hardwood. It is the same material found in furniture and floorings. Thus, you can ensure the durability of the handles. This kind of wood is also more fire-proof than regular ones. However, these handles will need extra care.
- It also has a tipping crossbar, just like the Jackson Wheelbarrow mentioned earlier, but this is sandwiched between its two pneumatic rubber tires. Thus, it is more grounded and stable. However, you need to be more patient when the crossbar hits the ground often when dumping the contents of your wheelbarrow.
- If you want a tool that minimizes the annoying things that happen when using a wheelbarrow (overflowing or being knocked over), the Westward wheelbarrow will suit your needs.
Bosmere Folding Wheelbarrow
- Limited storage space calls for the attention of the chic Bosmere Folding Wheelbarrow. It is an ideal companion for gardening and carrying equipment. It is also the last one on the list of lightweight barrows.
- Its water-proof polyester tarpaulin can haul cargos of three cubic feet with a rear flap that you can unhook and lay flat on the ground when loading, sweeping or raking things in. Its foldable feature makes it suitable when traveling from one destination to another.
- It has steel handles with rubber foam grips that avoid slips when in use. Bosmere Wheelbarrow offers comfort in style for your hands.
- This barrow also has a single pneumatic tire, that can run over narrow paths and flat grounds.
- Being foldable has its cost. Numerous pins fasten the canvas and hook securely so as not to spill the contents of the tarpaulin. Keep in mind to check these pins when using the barrow.
- Extreme cold temperature affects the barrow, so ensure that it is protected. When in great hands, the wheelbarrow can guarantee long life and usage.
- You don’t have to sacrifice style over practicality. With the Bosmere Folding Wheelbarrow, you can have both.
Benefits of Using a Wheelbarrow in the Garden
A wheelbarrow in your garden provides relief in your carrying and transporting efforts. The parts are designed to help you in maintaining your home garden. Furthermore, it also eases back pains and muscle strains as long as you have the correct posture in wheeling your barrow.
What to Look for a Wheelbarrow
You should look for a wheelbarrow that suits your needs and bonds with your style. Buying this is an investment since it will lend you a hand when reaping what you sowed.
Types of Wheelbarrows
Hybrid wheelbarrows are just the typical wheelbarrows but with updated design to fit the changing times. Thus, they can be available with one, two, three, or four tires for trouble-free operation. Its tub can also come as different sizes, depending on the weight to be carried.
Hill-use wheelbarrows reflect its name. These heavy-duty barrows can be a great tool when transporting cargo in a hilly region. Its tires should be well-oiled for easy wheeling, and its handle should not be steel so as not to add to the load.
Electric wheelbarrows are not that popular for gardeners, so these are not included in the reviews below. It is the most advanced of the three types, thus the most expensive. Furthermore, maintaining these electric types will cost more.
Since gardening will require to lug things around, the physical capacity of the barrow should be an important matter to consider. Common wheelbarrows can hold around 300-500 lbs or around 10 cubic feet. Its weight limit should also be compatible with its size.
Although, it really boils down to how much weight you can carry. Just because it is supposed to carry 500 lbs does not require you to lift such heaviness. You should assess your own strength when doing this work.
Load Tub Material
The tub of the wheelbarrow carries the load. Its material can be available as steel, plastic, or cloth.
Steel tubs are suitable for heavy-duty gardening, such as transporting rocks and large plants. They have greater cargo volume capacity, but they can be susceptible to rusting.
Plastics, on the other hand, can only carry lighter cargos and more affordable than steel tubs. These are suitable for mixing fertilizers and towing manure. However, overloading can crack the tub while high temperatures can melt it.
Some wheelbarrows use tarpaulin material as the load tub. This offers more convenience as you can just lay it flat on the ground and place your load there. Of course, it will only be suitable for light objects.
Foldable wheelbarrows utilize fabric materials. Just like the tarpaulin, it can also be used for light load only and can be placed on the ground when used. Its foldable feature also includes advantageous storage since it only requires less space.
A wheelbarrow cannot live up to its name without its wheels. Traditionally, it has a single wheel, which can be difficult for hill-use since it affects its maneuverability. Although, its advantages include easier turns and movement to narrow paths.
Opting for many tired wheelbarrows can also be useful. It has more balance, which avoids overturning what you are carrying.
High-tier wheelbarrows use air-filled tires or pneumatic tires. It allows smoother run on different terrains but risks punctures and failure. Solid wheels such as solid rubber do not deflate, which is a plus point for convenience. However, it has less shock absorption compared to pneumatic tires. General differences of these tires, not just in wheelbarrows, can be found in this site.
Ball bearing also affects the wheels. Simply put, it reduces friction within the tires and supports the weight of the wheelbarrow. An industrial-grade bearing can preserve your wheelbarrow from the disintegration of its parts.
Common wheelbarrows have two handles for effortless maneuvering. The handles can be made from plastic, wood, or metal.
Plastic handles are lightweight, but it also risks breaking from a heavy load. Meanwhile, wooden handles can also crack due to weather conditions, which can result in splinters. Lastly, metal handles are heavier and can get hot during extreme sunny weather.
A double-handled wheelbarrow requires upper body strength for lifting. Thus, incorrect posture can lead to straining of muscles and arm, shoulder, and back pains.
Ergonomic handles or the bar-type handles reduce upper arm strain and provides more control when moving the wheelbarrow. However, this handle type can also require more effort when dumping the load.
In need of wheelbarrow recommendations? Go through these product reviews to gauge the best tool for your gardening needs.
When shopping for a wheelbarrow for your garden, you must keep in mind its purpose. Look for the type, the physical capacity, the load tub material, the wheel or wheels, and the handles of the wheelbarrow that are compatible with your work style and needs. Remember that the wheelbarrow should help you to avoid less stress on your upper body. With all these in mind, the Jackson Wheelbarrow is at the top of our list due to its metal tub that lasts longer than the plastic ones, its single wheel that allows you to move easily in different terrains, and its tip-resistance.