Best Worm Castings
This post presents an informational guide for gardeners to know what worm castings can do for their garden, plants and yields.
But more than an informational guide, this is a post that talks about some of the best worm casting brands around. Check out our five reviews below.
Read our Best Worm Castings Review to find out.
- Unco Worm Castings Organic Fertilizer, Wiggle Worm Soil Builder, 15-Pound (Editors choice - High Quality)
- Life Cycle Organics 100% Organic Worm Castings - 20 oz. Resealable Zip Pouch (Runner up)
- Dr. Verm's Premium Worm Castings - Organic Soil Builder and Fertilizer (2 LB) (Amazing Price)
- Plantonix Worm Bliss Premium Vegan & Organic Earthworm Castings, (4 Quart) (Affordable Product)
- One Stop Worm Gold Plus 100% Organic Worm Castings 8qt (Approx 13lbs) (Great Product)
Worm casting products vary, but most of them are good products that do their job excellently. Check if the product is too dry or too wet, because neither of these extreme conditions is beneficial to your garden and soil.
For more information, here are 5 product reviews:
Unco Worm Castings Organic Fertilizer, Wiggle Worm Soil Builder, 15-Pound
- Fast growth - This product teems with healthy bacteria that grow from waste, helping plants grow at a fast rate.
- Clean mix – The worm castings in Wiggle Worm have been fully sifted through before shipment, so there is less work to be done when they reach their buyers. However, we have heard that their bigger bags contain twigs and large barks, so check that out.
- Nutrition supply in two ways - Another nice feature is the product’s two forms of supplying nutrients. One form can be direct and fast absorption by the plants. The other form involves providing nutrition gradually and feeding plants for a long period of time.
- Moisture – When you receive a bag of this product, take note of the heavy weight it has. That big weight is due to the moisture inside, which is a good feature because the water content is meant to keep the microbes inside alive for three months or so.
- There is a negative perception about this product. Some people say that Wiggle Worm is not farm worm and that they buy their products from different sources, and just label them as Wiggle Worm.
UNCO Industries Wiggle Worm castings come last in the list but definitely, it is not the least. Its high bacterial content is its major advantage.
Life Cycle Organics 100% Organic Worm Castings - 20 oz. Resealable Zip Pouch
- Supports root growth - The ability of the worm castings of Life Cycle Organics to strengthen root growth is attributed to their hormone-like effect.
- Contains healthy bugs - Life Cycle Organics is known to have a healthy batch of worm castings. This is indicated by the presence of tiny composting bugs and microorganisms in the mix. The manufacturer assures gardeners and farmers that the little bugs in their product are safe.
- Improves soil structure - This is a product that is also known for its ability to improve soil structure and that is because it has a high humus content. Castings that have high humus content can help improve soil water retention and aeration.
- Disease prevention - This product controls and prevents plant diseases (especially fungal diseases) because of the special nematodes it contains. These nematodes consume fungus as their food.
- This product comes in a small bag of castings, and some say that for the selling price, it is way overpriced.
Life Cycle Organics earns a spot here because of its ability to strengthen root growth and inhibit root diseases.
Dr. Verm's Premium Worm Castings - Organic Soil Builder and Fertilizer (2 LB)
- Vegan diet - The worms used for producing castings are fed only with a raw vegan diet and any kind of fruits and vegetables. They use veggies such as pumpkin, lettuce, eggplants, etc. For fruits, they use oranges, lemons or grapefruits.
- According to Dr. Verm’s, the worm’s diet is strictly controlled, which is great if you have achieved the desired effect the first time you used it.
- You can just continue using it and expect the same effect every time.
- Environment-friendly – There are no chemicals used in feeding the worms, which means that no harmful materials will come out of their body that is destructive to the environment.
- Dr. Verm’s worm castings are consistent in quality and nutritive value - The high level of consistency in the castings is a result of the controlled diet that the worms are being given.
- This product sometimes arrives frozen, so some people wonder whether the microbes are alive or not upon arrival.
- Some customers complain about the inferior quality of Dr. Verm’s packaging.
Here is a product that stands out for its vegan feeding strategy.
Dr. Verm’s castings are very fine particulates. When mixing it with soil, keep the mix on a low ratio. A high mixture ratio can result to a muddy mix and hamper drainage.
Plantonix Worm Bliss Premium Vegan & Organic Earthworm Castings, (4 Quart)
- Absorbs water well - This product is known for its ability to make soil more water-absorbent, so with this product, you will never have to worry about your garden getting dehydrated.
- Contains Humic acid - This product contains humic acid, which is an extra aid in keeping the soil moist. Humic acid’s primary benefit is its ability to combine minerals and turn them into organic compounds that can be easily utilized by plants.
- Can be used in different ways - This product can be used in many ways – soil building, top dressing, and composting tea. If you are starting gardening with seedlings, create a 10% mix of the worm castings with either coco or peat. The seedlings will love it.
- Being highly water-absorbent, the product might not be good for plants that hate being drenched in water.
Worm Bliss is a worm casting product produced by Platonix, which you might want to consider if your area is receiving much sun and little rain.
If Worm Bliss worm castings will work great for you, you might also want to see the other gardening products that their manufacturer offers, such as neem oil, coco coir brick, and humic acid. The manufacturer of these products is located in Ashland, Oregon.
One Stop Worm Gold Plus 100% Organic Worm Castings 8qt (Approx 13lbs)
- Volcanic rocks – This product has volcanic rocks as an ingredient. The dust that the rocks will eventually break down into can release trace elements like iron and manganese.
- Kelp - Another ingredient in this product is kelp. Kelp contains a lot of macronutrients. At the same time, it also helps to open up the root system of the plant, resulting to faster nutrient intake.
- Chitin - Another nutrition booster in Worm Gold is Chitin, the major structural component of fungi and invertebrates. Worm castings that contain Chitin provide a source of nitrogen and carbon for soil and microorganisms to use.
- Some users complain that this product has failed to improve the health condition of the plants they use it on.
Worm Gold Plus excels in terms of the various ways it can provide nutrients to plants.
The maker of this product is One Stop Outdoor. If you drop by their website, you would know that the company continues to research on how their worm casts can still be improved, but they also believe that their current mix is one of the best that plant growers can find.
How to Choose the Best Worm Castings
There are several appraisal points to consider when comparing brands. These include:
When you buy regular manure, you want to know what food the animal that produced it is eating. It’s the same thing with buying worm castings.
I know some worm castings to be toxic to plants rather than beneficial, so I avoid buying them and tell my friends not to buy these products. The worms are fed with junk, like yard clippings (with pesticide) and table scraps.
If the brand says nothing about what they are feeding their worms on the label, would it be wrong to assume they might be hiding something in their product?
The question is: How much are you actually getting from the bag? Some manufacturers unscrupulously include ridiculous amounts of dirt in their mixtures.
Check the castings-dirt ratio of the products. Some come with a 4:1 ratio, which is 20% dirt and 80% casting. The dirt part of the product is usually a combination of rocks, bedding and dirt.
You don’t want to use a product with half of it being dirt and pebbles. Get a product that assures you that you will get 100% worm castings.
You also would like to know the type of bedding used for producing the worm castings in a product, because it can have a direct impact on the quality of castings produced.
The best bedding for warm castings production consists of rich, dark soil or peat humus. If the manufacturer used sandy or silt soil, quality might have been compromised.
Your investment matters a lot. Choose a company that stands behind its products. Also, they must be people you can depend on when you need them, and must be transparent about their processes.
Brand trust is created by direct experiences of consumers, and when consumers trust a brand, they exhibit behaviors that translate to loyalty.
Benefits of Worm Castings
Here is what worm castings can do for plants and soil:
It Adds Organic Matter to Your Soil and Populates It with Helpful Microbes.
Worm castings not only add organic matter to soil. They also help in increasing the population of microorganisms in the soil.
It Increases CEC (Cation Exchange Capacity)
The CEC of soil is its fertility capacity. If your soil has a high CEC capacity, it means that it is very fertile and has sufficient nutrients to support plant growth.
It Balances Soil pH
Worm castings have near neutral acidity levels. When they are mixed with soil, they can help make it more acidic or more alkaline, depending on the condition of the soil before mixing.
It Helps in the Aeration of the Soil
Worm castings come in granular form, so they can help in creating spaces for air to move in and through the soil.
It Promotes Water Absorption
Worm castings function like a sponge. They can hold moisture, which is especially helpful for areas that are prone to drought. In addition, soil that can hold and retain water well is less susceptible to erosion.
More benefits include:
- Worm castings are friendly to the environment and don’t leave harmful residues like chemical fertilizers do.
- The protozoa, nematodes, fungi and bacteria that are included in the mixture help in maintaining a healthy ecosystem of the soil.
How to Use Worm Castings
Follow these instructions for mixing worm castings with soil:
Mixing with Potting Soil – The ratio is 1:1. For every cup of casting, use one cup of potting soil for seedlings. For mature plants, you can use the same ratio or slightly less.
Transplants and regular planting – For veggies and perennials, use one quarter of castings to be put into the planting hole.
Shrubs and trees – For every planting hole, mix with the soil a cup of castings. Do not simply put the castings at the bottom of the hole for that will discourage rooting. Mix the castings with dirt first, and then put the mixture along the circumference of the hole.
Precautions for Using Worm Castings
Worm castings may not be enough for supporting complete nutrient supply for your plants. Some people only use them secondary to organic-sourced fertilizers and chemical fertilizers. This insufficiency is more pronounced if they are used with plants that are heavy feeders.
For gardeners looking to increase nitrogen supply, worm castings may also prove to be insufficient. For increasing nitrogen, I found high-nitrogen guano, feather, blood meal and fish product to be better and work faster.
Lastly, these castings have near-neutral pH, so they may not be good to use for plants that thrive in a highly acidic or alkaline condition.
Worm castings are a great first step to improve the fertility of your gardening soil, but more importantly, you should try to get “life” into the soil. Populate the soil with all beneficial microbes to get better results than just mixing in an amendment.
In that regard, we could have declared Wiggle Worm as the winner of this round-up. However, we also believe that it is not only bacterial content that is important. All things are equally important, so we were looking into choosing the one that performs well in many areas of providing support for plant growth and productivity.
With that criterion in mind, we are choosing Life Cycle Organics as the best among the five. The strong points for this product include its ability to promote growth and inhibit root diseases. The presence of healthy bugs in its castings is also an amazing feature.